Saturday, July 25, 2009

My Soapbox


I'm up on my soapbox....that's your warning;) Baby George here is just expressing how I'm feeling.

What's the difference between a snack and a treat? I think there is a difference. To me a snack is a healthy small meal and a treat is sugar or carbs that you don't really need but like to indulge in from time to time.

My issue is with the amount of treats given to kids (mine included) after activities/sports. I first noticed it a few years ago when Mr. P began soccer. After each game (30 minute) the players were given a "snack" and a drink. The premise was that they needed something after expending so much energy. Huh? Each parent signed up for a week and was responsible to bring the team snack. Some parents did do healthy but most of it was sugary juice and processed stuff.

Now that we have gone through soccer, t-ball, gymnastics and swimming I'm really getting perplexed by the amount of junk food as a reward for physical activity. Each of the previous listed activities ends with a treat being given. Swimming at least was only given on the last session. But....I just don't like all this junk and treats. Shouldn't the "reward" be the fun time they had playing...the great job they did?

In a nation that is FAT and getting FATTER all the time...should this be a trend we want to hang on to? Think back to your childhood...did you get a treat after each game or activity? I know I didn't...and I didn't miss it either. I would rather bring my child a bottle of water and give them a healthy snack as I see fit when and if they are hungry...not treats as rewards.

3 comments:

  1. I agree! What ever happened to water bottles and orange slices?

    Stopping by from the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm, interesting. you're right, the most i ever got was orange slices, and that wasn't until college basketball! thanks so much for your thoughts and prayers right now. it means so much. darci

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky, you are not alone in your frustration about snacks and sports. I read a whole article about this in a magazine (can't remember which one) and the mom writing it said all the things you expressed in your blog. It seems like each generation has to spoil their kids just a little more. What are we doing??? (This is from Sandi not Gary. I'm on his computer!)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...