Saturday, May 24, 2014

What's Cookin'?


As a way to spend a little one on one time with my kids at home I've started giving cooking lessons. The other kids are still around but I can focus on one kid at a time. They all like learning how to cook too. It will be a bonus for Cam and I in the future. 

I've not been the best cooking teacher in the past. I really like to do it myself....less mess....it's quicker and I really enjoy getting into my own "zen" cooking time.

But really the kids are old enough now to take good direction. I started with pancakes. I make pancakes every Saturday morning so it was a good place to begin. Sis was eager to help me.

We make the same recipe every week (Joy of Cooking). I use half whole wheat flour and half white flour. I also use buttermilk when I can. Blueberries are always a favorite add in. 

I help Sis measure the ingredients and she pours them into the bowl. She is great at cracking the eggs. Then I have her use a measuring cup to pour the batter onto our griddle. She added blueberries with a large spoon...sprinkling them on. 


I showed her how to flip the pancakes. Wow! She was a natural. She even patted the tops of them with the spatula. 

She has done pancakes a few times with me now. She can pour and flip all on her own. She likes to make little dollar size pancakes and then switch it up with regular sized ones. 


It's a nice time working together. We put some music on and have fun.....bonding one on one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...