Thursday, September 20, 2007

Distorted Body Images

My hubby and I were standing in the grocery checkout line this week when he commented, "this is insane". He was pointing to a magazine cover picture of Britney Spears wearing a bikini during her recent MTV performance. The headline read, "I look like a fat pig" along with accounts of her failed performance. My hubby's point was that she looked fine, in fact quite in shape. Britney does have her share of problems lately...train wreck comes to mind.....but she isn't fat....not even a little bit! What does this say to women and young girls when this is considered fat? Can I be this fat...please?

Also, I was reading a magazine interview with America Ferrera yesterday. I love America and have since I saw her in Real Women Have Curves. In the article she is being asked by the interviewer about being the new role model for plus size women. She answers the question politely and then says that she is a size 10 on the top because she's really busty and a size 6/8 on the bottom. Only in Hollywood is size 6/8 or 10 considered plus size! She is gorgeous and curvy but not even close to plus size. What is wrong with the media?

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I am a 10. (although on some days, after too many PB&J crusts 12s are more comfortable. But I play soccer and have fellt pretty good...but I guess I am plus size?

    I really work hard on my girls to not think this way, but it;s hard with all the media.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You aren't kidding! With four girls in the house this is definitely something to keep an eye on. Poor Britney...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...