Monday, April 17, 2017

20th Anniversary

In January Cam and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary. We spent a beautiful morning hiking a local nature trail that we had never been to. The hike started up high and went down through a forest of trees. There was a stream that ran along the trail too. The hike ends at the beach....our favorite place. 


The beach was empty and the view was amazing. You can see the Olympic Mountain range across the water. 


It was freezing cold but the hike back up got us nice and warm. Actually it got Cam nicely warmed and it got me hot and sweaty and breathing hard. It was a 1 mile straight uphill and I am not in as good of shape as my billy goat husband. I took the opportunity to stop and look at moss and ferns and birds....and anything....to catch my breath. 


After our hike we went to lunch at our fave spot. The view was gorgeous! 


20 years!! That's a good solid amount of time to be married. 

What I've learned about my marriage in 20 years...and am still learning.

It takes work. We put time and effort into making our marriage strong. 

When you feel disconnected from your spouse, say so, and do something to reconnect. 

We love each other AND we annoy each other.  Being annoyed doesn't take away from the love. 

It's the little things that mean the most.

We are still learning about each other. 

It's okay (and beneficial) to have time apart or alone. 

You have to be the "soft place to land" for each other. 

Shared history is important to both of us.

For us it's better to go to bed mad. In the morning things will feel different. 

Say sorry even when you don't feel it. 

Take time to hold hands, kiss hello and goodbye and sit together. 

Be each other's biggest cheerleader. 

Zip your mouth. 

Make time for dates. 

Show appreciation for one another. Verbalize it. 

Laugh together. Be silly and crazy and wild. 

I'm excited for the next 20 years and beyond. It's work but it's worth it. Happy 20th to my favorite, my person, my partner, my love. 

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on 20 years of marriage!!! Wishing you many more blessed years together! Love you both
    XOXOXOXO
    XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...