Sunday, April 20, 2008

"Aha" moment for me this week

Saints Mary & Martha of Bethany
Icon and text from the website Come and See Icons
June 4th Troparion of Saints Martha & Mary (Tone 3):
"You fervently believed in Christ and His marvelous acts, O Martha and Mary, sisters of Lazarus. You were adorned with radiant virtues and were found worthy to be numbered with the Saints; together with holy Lazarus pray to God for us."
"After the Ascension of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, St. Lazarus and his sisters, Saints Mary & Martha traveled preaching the Gospel. We do not know where or how they died. Mary and Martha have long symbolized the tension between the enrapt worship and the practical service of our Lord; between the mystical naivete of Georgia and the solid theology of Greece; between carelessly abandoning oneself in the Liturgy or ducking out to see if the coffee will be ready for coffee hour. The Church has always benefited from both types of ministry, but when Jesus said that Mary had chosen the better part, it was made clear that (as hard as this may be for some of us to imagine) Liturgy can happen without a coffee hour, but coffee hour would be pointless without Liturgy."

Friday I went to confession. I love confession. I truly do. It's cleansing and restorative and I also believe its a good deterrent. Who wants to keep confessing the same things over and over? I spoke at length with my priest about things I have been struggling with. One of them is my desire and drive to get things done and do them right. That in itself doesn't sound like a "bad" thing. But, the trouble for me comes when the details become so much the focus that I can't see the bigger picture. I have a hard time knowing when to let go of the details and just enjoy the experience.
Many times after I put the kids to bed at night I think of the times during our day when I have fallen short. I think I should have laughed with them more, played more, or just sat with them more. I should have let some of the details go.
As I finished my confession and my talk with my priest he made a comment to me about Martha. I drove home thinking about the story of Mary and Martha. I can relate to Martha. It really struck a nerve with me and I've been thinking about it all weekend. I love the icon of the sisters and the description of the tension between "the enrapt worship and practical service of our Lord". I pray that I can be more like Mary because as Jesus said, Mary had chosen the better part.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...