Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Gestational Diabetes?

Yesterday I went in and did a 3 hour glucose test to screen for Gestational Diabetes. The previous week I had done the 1 hour test...and I failed it! Poop! I have not been feeling good and have complained about how my blood sugar feels this pregnancy. I do not feel the same as I did the other two pregnancies. Also, my iron level hasn't come up AT ALL! Poopy again! I won't have the results until tomorrow. The test was much worse than I thought it would be. You have to fast for 12 hours (which was fine since I was sleeping). Then go in and drink the MOST sugary drink you can imagine. Then they draw your blood every hour for 3 hours. I had read that some women get dizzy, throw up, or faint. I hadn't felt sick at all from the 1 hours test so I really didn't worry. About 20 minutes after drinking the sucrose drink (twice the grams of sugar as used for the 1 hour test) I started really feeling ill. I kept burping the nasty stuff and trying not to gag or throw up. I pushed two of the chairs in the waiting room together to make a little bed. I stretched out and tried to feel better. I started feeling dazed like I had taken a pain pill. Weird? I felt lethargic and doped! I could barely walk to get my first blood draw. As the next 2 hours went by I would feel a little better and then a wave would overcome me. I have no idea what the test will reveal but I'll hopefully find out tomorrow and I'll let you know. And...hopefully never have to take that test again! Anyone out there taken this test or had gestational diabetes?

2 comments:

  1. Oh I am so sorry! I had to do the 3 hour test once... it is nasty!

    Prayers over here, that all is fine, and that you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry. Never had it in all of my 6 pregnancies so I don't know anything about it. Hope you feel perkier soon.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...