Friday, October 5, 2007

The birds and the bees....oh my!

On the way home from the library today Mr. 4 yr. old says to me, "Mom, how do babies get out of their mom's tummy?". EEEEEEKS! HELP! Okay deep breath....what do I say....how much do I say? Where's my husband when I REALLY need him? My brain was flooded but I managed to respond, "Mamas have a little hole that the babies come out of. Remember how your bottom has a little hole where the poo-poo comes out?". Great, I've just compared babies to poop! Last week we had a long discussion because the ever curious 4 yr. old wanted to know how the poopoo gets out and then asked how does the hole know how to open and close again! Good grief! In desperation I suggested we could get a book from the library that shows how babies come out. I continued on..."Boys have a penis and mamas have a girl potty called a vagina." We've had this discussion once before which ended when he then said, "show me". After my girl potty comment he then says, "So, the hole is right by your butt!". "Yes". That was the end of the conversation. He seemed to be satisfied with my answers. I spent the rest of the drive home thinking of what I could have said differently. Last year he just thought babies came from airplanes from Ethiopia. I think I prefer this thinking!

4 comments:

  1. "Last year he just thought babies came from airplanes from Ethiopia."

    I love this thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!! I do dread the day that question gets asked of me!! I think you did a great job...kids! I like the plane way best too:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made me laugh for the first time in like a week!!
    How are you??
    You need to come over soon!
    -S

    ReplyDelete
  4. And people think teaching a child to READ is hard?????

    LOL!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...