Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Updates from Addis

It's been so great to wake up and have these emails to read. The first is from my stepmom. It is from yesterday.

Becky, your baby girl is a so beautiful and has such a wonderful temperament. She has beautiful hands and feet. She has great dimples when she smiles and does lots of cooing and singing to herself. She never showed any discomfort and looks like she is bonded with Cam well. She smiles at him a lot and when he feeds her she studies his face like she is memorizing it. She grips her little hands tightly on to you when you hold her and loves to jump up and down standing in your lap and rocks herself when she sits on laps. Even though she was sick today she was very calm. Cam said she is feeling much better tonight. She looks awesome in pink. Her hair is very soft and curly but not much of of it yet. She was by far the most beautiful baby at the orphanage. She loves to grab your dad's white beard in her chubby little hands and hang on to it. She smiled almost immediately at me and she laughed the first day for me too. I think it was the dark hair. She is a jewel just like Busy Guy. After being here a couple of days now I think it is the Ethiopian temperament. No one seems to be angry even if the traffic is bad and when they ask you not to take a picture at a museum it is all done in a soft voice.

We are going to go to breakfast at the Hilton with Cam (we hope) in the morning before his embassy appointment. We saw the woodcutters project today and Mt Entoto. We arrived at the church near a rock carved church from 1300 AD just as they began the chanting marking the 15 day fast. It was so incredible. We loved it!

We love you and miss you. Kiss the boys for us and we'll see you soon.

The next email is from Cam and then one from his Mom.

Newt,

We got our visa with no issues. God is great! Her birthday is Dec 28th, so that's cool. She was quite ill yesterday, but I got the Italian version of Pedialyte and some antipyretics, so she is feeling much better. No vomiting today. Mom and I have been up since 2:30 this AM. Not sure why. Also, Gail said that we do not have to confirm our flight for Emirates, but being paranoid, I am going to go on Friday anyway. Also, I talked with Gail about that little boy at KM and she told me that he has been moved to Layla today and is hopeful for him. I will pick up Lydia's visa tomorrow and take pictures of Darwit while I am there. I am looking forward to your call tonight and I can't wait for you to see her. I have been dressing her in nothing but pink. All my love to you and the boys.

I took photos of Lydia and Cam. He chose such a cute outfit (and backup outfit) for her to wear at the Embassy. He picked out the white jumper with pink frills on the bottom and backside. He has been very careful about dressing her perfectly before she goes out. It is sweet to watch him 1) select the prettiest outfit and 2) struggle to get the thing on her with all the snaps in the right place. :) we both woke up last night at 2:30 and gave up the idea of sleeping by 3:30. Lydia slept for 5.5 hours! Cam and I weren't so lucky. Anyway, I think he's decided to go back to the orphanage and take photos and Keith and I are going to donate $200 American to the nuns there. Cam will probably talk to you tonight about that. He has broken down a couple times crying because "it was just so horrible" but now has a plan of action. Now about Lydia (we are trying hard to call her Lydia while we're here) she has had a lot of vomiting and diarrhea but hasn't lost any weight...still has nice rolls of chubbiness everywhere and mostly that's due to the pedialite and also the medicine plus the fact that we've been diligent about keeping her hydrated. She doesn't look or smell dehydrated and is not only plump as a partridge but smells wonderful. Oh, I did clip her fingernails as she was doing me major harm but I leave her toenails to you. Anyway, as for your daughter, she is thriving and I wish you could see how she grabs both of her feet and tries to suck her toes while trying to drink of her bottle! Also, trying to make mouth noises and burble at the same time. What a girl! While I think of it, Cam bought your mom a wonderful icon this morning. I'm sure she will like it. Also, while I think of it, Barb has said to me (and others) over and over wheat a wonderful Mother you are. What a wonderful set of parents you and Cam are. And how lucky your children are. I thought you'd like to know that. I hope you are doing okay. I know it must be hard for the boys to hear their Papa on the phone and then hang up. It is very, very hard for him, too. I know he will want to tell you all about his days, and plans, but believe me when I say, all he wants to do is go home. If there is anything I am dreading it's the Looooong plane ride home. But you and your mother managed that so I guess Cam and three grandparents can make it work. I love you lots.

So great to have all this news. It's great to finally know Lydia's birthday. We knew she came into care on Jan. 5th and was determined to be two weeks old. When her case was being prepared for court we were asked if we had a preference for her birthdate. We wrestled with choosing a date because her paperwork said she came to Layla on Jan. 5th and was two weeks old...that would make her birthdate Dec. 22nd. But, her medical exam was done on Jan. 8th and also said she was two weeks old....this would make her birthdate Christmas. We chose Dec. 22nd as our preferred date. Now, we know Dec. 28th will be her birthday. I don't know why that date was chosen. The court assigns it in Addis. If there is no additional paperwork detailing the reason for her chosen birthdate I will know it's God's will. I'm thrilled to have a Dec. baby since I am too. Plus, we have so many summer b-days. The girls are Dec. and the boys are Mar., June, July, July, and Aug.!

My MIL's comment about cutting Lydia's nails cracks me up. My hubby who does everything I do in taking care of our kids has NEVER cut any of his kid's fingernails. I just commented yesterday to my mom that I sent nail clippers with him but that he would probably have his mom do it for him. Oh, well...he does change lots of poopy diapers;)

Just got off the phone with hubby. Lydia is feeling much better. Still has the diarrhea but the fever and vomiting is better. He's hoping to get back over to KM and take some pictures of the kids tomorrow. Also, going to confirm his return flight and do a little sight seeing.

More good news. Hubby checked his work email and there were two positions open on dayshift. He has been waiting for something to open up. So....Yahoooo! He applied and hopefully will be moving to days when he returns to work. He will have off another couple of weeks after he gets home. Luckily he saved up enough vacation/sick leave to have all this time off. I will certainly need his help! The boys will fill every minute of his time off...they are already planning what they will be doing with Papa when he gets home. Playing Legos, video games, wrestling, riding bikes and having bonfires are at the top of the list.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...