Friday, January 23, 2009

The Return

I'm back...I've returned...I've been gone 3 days. I've been sick...so sick...and in bed for 3 days. Tuba and I both have strep throat...a nasty...terrible, horrible painful as all get out version of strep. I spent the last 3 days alternating shivering cold or sweating hot from fevers. My throat felt like I swallowed shards of glass...and then drank lemon juice, I had body aches and swollen lymph nodes in my belly that made me wince, oh, and the lymph nodes in my neck were huge and so tender. Any noise sent my ears ringing and my head clanging. I've been on Zithromax since Tues. and just today could emerge from my deep dark cave of my bedroom. I've done nothing but lay in bed...and of course nurse Baby George when he was hungry...which I think was every half an hour. Plus, Tuba felt the same as I did...horrible. He also has spent the time laying down...much of it in bed with me.

Now, for the blessings. God has blessed me immensely. As I lay in my bed feeling so horrid I thought about the people around the world that do not have access to antibiotics or pain medication...or even a Doctor. I laid in a plush bed in a warm dry home. I had tea, and soup, and popsicles or anything else I wanted to eat. I had clean water to sip and warm water to bathe in. Also, only one of the 4 kids was sick...I kept praying that nobody else would get strep...my prayer continues.

The greatest blessing was that I had Cam. He was home...already scheduled to be off work and not have class again until Fri. (today). He took over...everything except feeding the baby. I was able to retreat and rest...when I'm sick I usually cannot do that. I really appreciate his hard work while I was out of it. The icing on the cake (not sure if having strep could be compared to a cake...but oh, well) was what Cam said to me....it's the nicest thing he's ever said to me...ever. He told me that he really appreciates what I do and how hard it is!!! Now, he always says he appreciates me but it's that acknowledgement that it is hard work that was so great.


Laying in bed I really missed my job. I missed my sweet babies...except Baby George who got to spend oodles of time laying with me in bed. The nicest thing was on Wed. when Tuba, Baby George, the cat Shiloh and I took a big long nap together. It was so warm and cozy and special. So, although I DO NOT want to be sick like that again...ever...there were some nice things about it too.


Tuba and I are out of bed today...still in our pj's and slippers...but feeling better. Thank God for our many blessings and for our health.

5 comments:

  1. Good Afternoon from Atlanta, GA.

    Hi Becky,
    I have spent the best part of today reading ALL your blog. Went right back to the beginning. Hope you don't mind but I would like to follow you as you raise these incredible kids. I admire you so much. My husband (my hero) and I are in our 60's, so we are too old to adopt, plus we are helping to raise 4 of our 8 grandkids, otherwise I would be in Ethiopia right now or China. I always wanted to have 10 kids. I was truly blessed with the two girls we did have. I had to have a hysterectomy at age 30. Can you imagine I had a Doctor tell me I was to old to have any more kids anyway! BooHiss. Needless to say, I changed Doctors. But the hysterectomy was had anyway.

    Your children are simply lovely and as I said I admire you and your husband so much for adopting and bring these wonderful kids into your lives. I apologize for all the rude comments you receive and hope they are few and far between.

    Our youngest daughter's husband abandoned her and his four kids and went back to Canada (his home before marriage) So they moved in with us and we are having that large family we always wanted, LOL. We homeschooled our daughters and they are now homeschooling their kids, our other daughter also has 4 kids.
    So two days a week I take over the schooling and we do arts, crafts, manners, cursive writing, and kindness. This is why I started reading all the adoption blogs. So glad I did. I have "met" some pretty terrific people. And my wonderful grandkids are now saying things like, (5yr old Ilana,
    "Nannie, could I adopt a little doll from China?) Meaning she saw a little Asain doll on one of the blogs and wanted to get it. Bless her heart. Caleb 10yr. old. is now sponsering (with Nannie and Pop-Pop's help) an 8 year old boy from the Dominician Rebublic. Julien 7yr. old wants to pack up half of his Legos and send them to an orphanage in China. You need to realize this boy is CRAZY about his Legos. And the fact that he is willing to give half away, Wow, I love these kids.

    They are so interested in Tuba. And are worried about him. So please keep us (Nannie,Caleb,Ilana,Julien &3yr.old Sadie) abreast of how he is doing. They want you to know they are all praying for him.
    They are drawing pictures for him and I'm hanging them on the craft room wall. They want to send them to him, but I told them maybe later.

    So that is our family. Thank you for sharing yours.

    God Bless you all,
    Miss Lila in Atlanta
    Caleb 10yr.
    Julien 7yr.
    Ilana 5yr.
    Sadie 3yr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. I am sooo sorry. And Gramma Sue was in Oregon and couldn't help a bit! I trust you are on the mend and yes, we are blessed to have medicine, homes, roads, doctors, water, electricity. And so on and so on. But being sick is still a NOT NICE thing. I love that you are able to feel like poop and still have pure and wonderful thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Lila,
    Thanks so much for your kind words and your prayers. You are awesome...the kind of Nana I want to be some day. You should start a blog with all the fun homeschool things you do! Thanks for following along on family's journey...it's never boring around here;) I have some great blogs listed as links on mine...many of them are also adoptive families and have wonderful families to read about. Blessings to you!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Becky!!!
    I'm SO sorry you were so sick, but glad you are feeling better.
    The good news for the baby is I don't think he can catch it. I think I remember that from when Sean was little.
    I'm so glad Cam was home to help out, that is truly a blessing I know.
    Sending lots of mom hugs for you and Tuba continue to feel better :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are on the mend, and glad you had someone to take care of you. I am blessed too, and know Fitz will take care of me, and also appreciate me. Lucky women we are!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...