Thursday, June 25, 2009

Food on the Brain


Here's part of the dilemma...I really don't want my kids to eat this kind of thing...too often...but I also don't want them to be denied ALL sugar and junk either. I try to find a good balance. I just make sure it's a treat and the normal meals are healthy. They were thrilled that I finally bought them a treat at the park. They always ask...and finally they got it...it was a Spider Man ice-cream. Rivers of blue and red were running down their hands...blech! At least I wasn't tempted to eat some myself:)

Food...that's what I've been thinking about today....well, most days...but especially today. I'm wrestling with many issues concerning feeding my family.

I want the food to be healthy...I try to buy as much organic as I can.... but it's expensive. I want to fix my family low-fat, whole grain, vitamin rich foods.

I want the food to be yummy...who doesn't...but I'm a self admitted food snob:)

I want the food to be cheap! Ha-Ha...I know...I'm dreaming but we do have to watch what we spend on groceries. As it is we spend A TON! I'm trying to widdle it on down.

And...most recently I want things that are easy to prepare...that everyone loves and that serves the brood of us.

Tonight I made Dirty Potatoes. YUM. I got the recipe from Erin's blog. She's got a big beautiful family...and knows how to feed them! Everyone loved it. And...we have leftovers for tomorrow too. We had green salad with it.

I'm looking for more recipes or dinner ideas...so...leave me your top favorites in the comments section. Also, we eat vegan 2 nights a week so vegan recipes are great too:)

I can't wait to move...grow a garden and have chickens and maybe a cow...some of my problems will be solved...yet more work too:)

2 comments:

  1. I am assuming if you mean "veggie" you allow eggs or cheese. Anyway, I made fresh strawberry crepes a couple nights ago. With Organic whipped cream. Yummy! You can use any fresh fruit or you can springle with butter, cheese, applesauce, lemon or powered sugar and skip the whip cream. They fairly easy if you make all the crepes ahead of time, warm them in the microwave, and then pile on the goodies, roll the up, drizzle frozen strawberry ja/syrup and eat. If you want the receipe, I'll email it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Root veggie bake (vegan): Chop up whatever root vegetables you feel like eating (potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnips, turnips, beets,carrots...basically whatever you like) with an onion (or 2) and some extra firm tofu. We usually chop enough stuff to cover the bottom of a 9X13 pan. Coat a pan with olive oil and drizzle some to the veggies. You can use whatever you like to season, we tend to go for rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper. Bake in the oven at 400 and check it turn turn stuff every so often. Once the veggies are done it is cooked! Pretty easy and we think it is yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...