Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I Hate Bubbles!

I know, you're thinking, "what? you hate bubbles?". But, I really do! I mean the kind the kids want to blow with little wands. I didn't like them as a child. I hated to get the soapy solution on my fingers when you had to reach into the bottle and get the wand...and I still hate it. When I was getting my teaching degree we had a class all about "play" and the instructor took us outside, gave us a recipe for homemade bubbles and we mixed them up in kiddie pool and made bubbles with a hula hoop. I know most of you are thinking, "wow, how fun". Yuck, I hated the whole thing...intensely! I know...hate is a strong word...but it really fits. I could say I despise them, I don't like them, they sick me out, they irritate me...but it really sums it up to say I hate them. My parents are probably laughing...as well as the friends who know me well. This will come as no surprise to them. People are usually surprised though when a mom of 3 (soon to be 5) kids says she hates bubbles. I do like lots of other potentially messy things like finger paint, playdough (only at the counter!), arts/crafts, camping, digging in the dirt, etc. But NOT bubbles. It's kind of sad because my boys of course LOVE bubbles. The neighbor gal does bubbles with her kids every day and sometimes brings it all over to our driveway to "share". Yikes...I sit with my eye twitching and wishing she would have to go home soon as I watch our driveway and my 3 boys get covered in gooey sticky suds....blech! The same kind neighbor gal brought Mr. P his very own huge bubble wand and large, long specialty jar of bubbles yesterday. I retreated to the house so I wouldn't have to watch the bubble "mess". My hubby knows I hate them so he stayed outside to supervise. Why do I hate them....let me count the ways: They get all over your hands/kids hands/arms/feet/clothing/driveway/grass, the suds get tracked into the house and into the carpet which never comes out, everyone's clothes/shoes/body have to be cleaned off, and the little plastic wands don't ever work right. Or...it's just that I'm a neat freak and have OCD about bubbles...and maybe I'm Scrooge about bubbles. This morning my MIL came to watch the boys while I went to the Dr. As I left they were all on the front porch doing bubbles. My eye was twitching but I did have a small moment of happiness as I watched my sweet boys with little lips pursed blowing bubbles off into the yard and waving bye-bye to me. My MIL knows how I feel about bubbles...she's the best...she wiped all their hands and feet before coming inside and then changed their clothes! Whew! Disaster averted....at least until they find where I hid those bubbles and ask to play with them again:0
Are there activities that you hate to do with your kids? Leave me a comment...I don't want to be the only nutty mom!

2 comments:

  1. I hate play doh. Well, it's really that I'm anal and don't like it when the colors get mixed. I also hate how pieces of it get everywhere. I have never voluntarily had play doh in the house. This morning Lily found a recipe for it and asked to make some -- I was able to distract her. At least so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just too funny! I love bubble.

    I do hate balloons though, and they are banned in this house!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...